“If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word. ”
I like words. As a person who is better at writing out my feelings, I am reliant on words to share how I feel; I have to make the words describe how I feel without the use of my facial expressions or my inflection.
Over the years, I have learned many words. Some of them are inherently funny, and some of them are just fun to say. So, being the unmotivated person I am who has nothing really philosophical to say, here is a list of some of my favorite words.
- Doppelganger- a ghostly double.
- Behoove- necessary or beneficial. For some reason unbeknownst to me, every time I see this word I picture me as a horse. It must be because horses have hooves.
- Serendipity- good fortune, luck. This word is so… bubbly. But “serendipitous” is better.
- Flabbergasted- astounded
- Coccyx- tailbone.
- Hullabaloo- an uproar
- Ish- somewhat, rather. This word is intended to be used as a suffix, as in “noonish.” But, often I just use it as a word to describe my mood, as in a syllable for blah.
- Conniption- a fit of rage
- Subtle- not immediately obvious. This word is great because the subtly slipped a “b” in that word.
- Persnickety- to be fussy about small details. This word reminds me of Lemony Snicket.
- quixotic- impractical
Spanish has a lot of funny words.
- Cacahuete- peanut
- mantequilla- butter
- limpiaparabrisas- windshield wipers
- hablaba- used to talk
- zanahoria- carrot
- porque- because
- muchedumbre- crowd
- rascacielo- skyscraper
- ito/a- a suffix that makes something little. Hermanita- little sister
- sonrisa- smile
- esperanza- hope
- repollo- cabbage
To be quite honest, all Spanish words are so fun to say–it’s one of the most beautiful, musical languages ever. If you know someone who speaks it, have them say something to you (same with any of the Romance languages–they are so musical).
As a writer, I also en0y making up my own words, which is why I like Dr. Seuss and Lewis Carroll’s “Jabberwocky.”
“I’d like to say a few words: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!” – Albus Dumbledore
Words are great.
But, I’d urge you all to use words cautiously. Words can be extremely damaging.
Who doesn’t love this song?